Some people are lucky to know exactly what they are supposed to be, and yet, they ignore their calling. Why? Fear, thinking that right is better than right for you and any and every other roadblock you can imagine. Episode 30 of Life in Focus introduces us to Katy Helen Stockinger, her story, her art and her path to right for you!
Katy Helen Stockinger knew from the time that she was a little girl that art was her passion, but she was told that she should pursue a career that was safe, profitable and easier to break into. Dissuaded by others to follow her true calling, she found comfort and pleasure in challenging herself and learning about business, but something was missing. A need was not being met. Luckily for her, she decided to listen to herself, and took a major leap. She dropped out of the corporate world and into art in 2008. It was art or bust and ART won.
Like what you hear. Rate us, review us and SHARE the podcast with someone you care about.
- Just because you know what’s right for you doesn’t mean you have everything you need to pursue it. You gotta face your ROADBLOCKS.
- “I still today am inspired by the business side of things… It made me appreciate this part of journey even more […] I played both sides of the field, and now I get to be creative.”
- Right for you doesn’t need to be a hedonistic pursuit. It is about finding the best way to live your dreams while still taking into account your responsibilities and the realities of life. You can approach it cautiously and with care and reason.
- Work is a part of life, it’s unrealistic to think that just because you love what you do you will love every part of it. Living the dream is not always a dream life.
- We need to be careful to not assume that what is true for us, is right for other.
- There are so many ways to meet a need and express a dream. Likewise there are ways to rediscover your love and passion when right for you becomes a chore (amen to that!).
- You can’t have certainty in life. You HAVE TO be able to move forward based on what you know now, understanding that it will never answer all your questions. “When you create a situation for yourself where failure is not an option, then you better not fail!”
Portrait of Katy Helen:
Art has been a part of me as far back as I can remember. I grew up in Prior Lake, Minnesota and I was always the artsy kid in class. Despite my passion, I didn’t think art could ever realistically be a viable career. I decided to shelf that dream and made the more practical decision to study Business Management and Spanish at the W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University. After earning my degree I spent some time traveling Europe before settling in Barcelona for the better part of a year. Upon my return I moved to San Diego & have been living & working here since.
In January of 2009 I was working as an Account Executive for a software company. I had a comfortable work environment, comfortable travel schedule, ample time for friends, great benefits, and a healthy paycheck. Yet there was a nagging feeling of being unfulfilled bubbling within me that I couldn’t ignore. Without a real plan, I decided to start pursuing art. I rented a studio at the GlasHaus, an amazing artist collective founded by Greg Brotherton and Matt Devine. My time in the GlasHaus played a huge role in my development as an artist and opened my eyes to the fact that art could indeed be a viable livelihood. This began a very prolific period for me, I went nuts. I would leave my office, head straight to my studio, and paint until I couldn’t hold my eyes open any longer. I poured everything into my art and, little by little, saw it start to take on a life of its own. After one year, I cut my hours at thehttp://englishhomeworkhelp.co.uk/ software company down to part-time. A year later, I quit my job altogether. Art or bust. That was about 5 years ago.
Thanks to the encouragement of family, friends, and complete strangers, I’ve been able to trade in my full-time job for full-time art. With the support of collectors and customers from all over the world I’m able to support myself doing what I love every day.
Thanks for taking the time to view my art & read a little about me. To learn more about my work, future events, custom pieces, and pricing please contact me & I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
FIND HER ONLINE:
Just because life never slows down, doesn’t mean you can’t
2 minutes, 7 days, it's all you'll need
Grab this incredible (free) training and you’ll learn a simple strategy to restore balance, overcome overwhelm and get back in control of your life & your schedule..