I am a professional advice giver, or at least that is what people think psychologists and coaches do. The truth is, we don’t really give advice. It’s more about providing insight, direction, and a framework for you to figure yourself out, and move forward with the things that truly matter in life.
As a psychologist and coach people come to me for motivation, tips and advice, but rarely share their own wisdom. Luckily, I don’t shy away from asking for help, confessing my lack of knowledge when it matters, and I happen to surround myself with some amazing human beings who are smart, wise and damn successful when it comes to living a life that’s right for them.
I wanted to share some of the best advice I have ever been given. I noticed, as I put it together, that it falls into three categories. Check it out, and be sure to read all the way to the end for the #1 piece of advice.
To read more and learn more from the fantastic people who shared their wisdom, click on the quotes.
Deep fulfillment comes when we pursue choices that are both meaningful to us, and align with who we are and what we value. The choices that are right for you become evident when you take the time to cultivate deep insight.
- Pursue a purpose, happiness will ensue from that. Dan Edwardes Fearless co-founder of Parkour Generations, and ultimate slayer of dragons
- Every single person has something that they should be pursuing. Lee Selman co-founder of ManRabbit Art and Paleo Treats – Renaissance woman extraordinaire
- Nurture your spirit, your creativity, and your sense of wonder at this one life if you want to produce the outcomes you’re looking for. Steph Gaudeau beautifully honest founder of Stupid Easy Paleo + StephGaudreau.com, model for how to align personal and professional values
- self awareness + self compassion = the key to everything good. Melissa Dinwiddie perfectly imperfect creative and promoter of living a creative life
- Make choices that aren’t just right, but right for you. Those are the kind of choices that make for a great life. Dr. Alessandra Wall
Face Your Fears
More than anything else, our fears are our greatest ROADBLOCKS. Failure, ridicule, loss, these are the things we worry about most. By avoiding them we limit our lives to ‘okay’ or ‘decent’ when great is what we could achieve.
- If you aren’t making mistakes, you’re not doing it right. Jimmy Moore host of Living la Vida Low Carb, bringing health, humanity and joy to thousands a week!
- You can do anything as long as you are willing to pay the price. Dr. Kirk Parsley the #1 PR representative for sleep, self-care and resilience
- Don’t get so hung up on the outcomes or the goal that you are afraid to make mistakes or fuck-up. Brock Armstrong renaissance man, eternally self -confident proof that you can be anything, anytime.
- Whatever result happens you’re going to be a better person [for having lived through the experience…] You have to fail to get to move forward. Nobody succeeds without failing! Zach Horvath co-founder of Live a Great story, a man who walks the talk.
- Don’t be afraid to be YOU and stand out. Dr. Theresa Larson bad-ass, brave as hell, kind, smart and ridiculously talented founder of Movement-Rx
- Face your fears, without a backup plan or a excuses for why you might fail, because you can and must succeed. Dr. Alessandra Wall
Create the Change You Want
Action without insight can easily be purposeless, not without value, but a cost of time and resources. Insight without action, however, is nothing more than an intellectual exercise. In the end, to have the life you want, you need to commit to a choice, to take a chance on you, and move forward.
- Shoot for the stars, you might hit the moon. Caroleen Reimann visionary, producer of We Love Paleo
- You don’t need to know how you story will end to start it! Hilary Bromberg modern day sage, fiercely true to her nature, founder of Primal Pantry and Egg
- Decide what kind of life you want. The only way that you learn something is through your own experience. Nik Hawks – Kickass human being, co-founder of Paleo Treats
- Take life where you want it to go. Chef Kat Humphus founder of Kat’s Kitchen and Savory Made simple, muse for LiF
- Excellence is a practice, not a state of being. Practice excellence. Coach David Wallach strong, true, ever-evolving founder of CrossFit Rubicon
- Take action, and through action, declare your independence and commit to better life. Dr. Alessandra Wall
The Best Advice By Far
My father once told me to be careful with boys’ hearts, because they are easily broken and slow to mend. It was a great piece of advice, and one I have tried to be mindful of, but it’s not my #1.
The best piece of advice I was ever given was to act now. I was reminded by a friend recently that it is easy (especially for someone like me) to spend a lot of time thinking, planning, exploring and feeling, but that without action all that insight is fruitless.
ACT NOW… simple.
Whether that action is stopping and taking the time to consider what you want, or finally facing a fear and moving forward with something despite being scared and uncertain, or just folding the laundry that’s been piling up; act now, you’ll feel better.
What do you want out of life? Are you going for it, or are you stuck in the planning phases? What does that mean to you? What are you not doing that you tell yourself you should be doing?
Because you can… really… take a first step towards something that is right for you, TODAY.
Speaking of action: have you checked out LīF? Now might be the time to move forward with all this wisdom, knowledge and advice.
Don’t know what to act on? Check out the INSIGHT Builder Series. This is a FREE email series designed to get you thinking about you, what you need and want, so you can create goals that are right for you and kick ass at this thing called life.
Just because life never slows down, doesn’t mean you can’t
2 minutes, 7 days, it's all you'll need
Grab this incredible (free) training and you’ll learn a simple strategy to restore balance, overcome overwhelm and get back in control of your life & your schedule..