Episode 19 – When pursuing your passion is right for you – Jimmy Moore.
Episode 19 of Life in Focus could have been intimidating. After all, I was interviewing Jimmy Moore of Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb, someone who has over 1,000 podcasts to his name!!! With a thriving podcast and business Jimmy is a force to contend with in the health and nutrition world. Luckily for me, Jimmy is both down to earth, an approachable, regular guy, and,once you get to meet him, a bit of a goofball (super endearing). His story is well known in the Paleo – Keto – Low-Carb world, his weight-loss story at least. I wanted to hear about what came before all this.
Together Jimmy and I we talked about how he found and pursued this passion, which roadblocks and diversions he faced, and what advice he has for those of us who also want to turn a passion into a profession.
*A few blunders– When I was recording this episode I preemptively announced that it would be #18, I was wrong. Also at some point I make the inexcusable mistake of saying “pursuing what’s right instead of what’s right for you” referring to right as what we want (oops, sigh and gasp!); blame it on early interview jitters.
- Jimmy’s story starts off as one about food and how it can rule your life for worse, then eventually better; which is how you go from drinking 16 cans of soda a day to becoming an internatiinal speaker on weightloss and health.
- Like with most things – food, happiness, life – your frame of reference dictates your reality; broaden it and gain perspective, stick with only what you know and potentially live in a reality that is not objective.
- How do you deal with the haters, the trolls and the social media bullies? Get Jimmy’s advice about minute 30 or so in the podcast.
- If you really want something make it work, figure out what it takes, and move along with it, regardless of what comes in your way.
- Sometimes you can stumble onto what’s right for you. If you can recognize and run with it great things can happen, like living a life in focus. Don’t believe me? That’s how Livin’ La Via Low-Carb started.
- On why he decided to move forward and follow his passion full time: “I felt like I had so much to offer [and the people I was working for didn’t recognize that value].”
- “If you aren’t making mistakes, you’re not doing it right.”
MORE on MOORE
He is a blogger and author who is best known for his “Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb” books and blog. He has appeared on television and radio programs promoting a high-fat, moderate protein, low carb diet plan. Moore also runs a popular tri-weekly podcast that has run over 1000 episodes featuring interviews with experts in diet, health, and fitness. He currently resides in Spartanburg, South Carolina.
In January 2004, Jimmy made a decision to get rid of the weight that was literally killing him. At 32 years of age and 410 pounds, the time had come for a radical change of lifestyle. A year later, he had shed 180 pounds, shrunk his waist by 20 inches, and dropped his shirt size from 5XL to XL. After his dramatic weight loss, Jimmy was inundated with requests from friends, neighbors and complete strangers seeking information and help. Jimmy is dedicated to helping as many people as possible find the information they need to make the kind of lifestyle change he has made. To that end, he has started a blog and a number of web-sites to get out the message of lifestyle change and healthy living.
ON YOUR BOOKSHELF:
The Ketogenic Cookbook
21 Lessons from Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb
Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb